Welcome

I'm a 46 year old stay at home mom who is married to the man of her dreams. We have 2 children, My Young Lady age 16 and My Little Man aged 9 along with 2 dogs. In February of 2012, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I had a mastectomy of the right breast on March 14th. Praise God we found it early! I did not have to do chemo or radiation. I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. My surgeon and oncologist are a wonderful team of doctors that are keeping a very close eye on me. I can now say I'm a 2 year breast cancer survivor. By the Grace of God I'm doing well.

Friday, April 25, 2014

Surgery is Over

Originally posted March 15, 2012.

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012, I had a mastectomy of my right breast. Before my surgery my doctor took one lymph node to check it to make sure the cancer hadn't spread to the lymph nodes. Praise God! The cancer had NOT spread to my lymph nodes! My husband, pastor and dad were present when my doctor told them the good news. They all say that my doctor was so happy and said it doesn't get any better than this! When I woke up after my surgery my husband told me the good news! I wish I wasn't so groggy and weak like because I wanted to run through the halls shouting Praise the Lord!

The pain medicine they gave me made me sleep a lot. Before I could leave I had to eat something and go to the bathroom. My nurse was the best! I couldn't have asked for a better nurse. I felt like I was her only patient! She took very good care of me and even my husband. She brought me some saltine crackers and some ginger ale to drink. I did feel nausea when I would move a little while in bed. That was quickly relieved by burping. Unfortunately, after I had drank a little when I burped I threw up all over my blankets. It was green! lol My nurse then called anesthesiology and got some medicine for me for the nausea. That too made me sleepy so I quickly was out again from that medicine. When I awoke I asked to go to the bathroom. My nurse helped me to the bathroom. When I peed it was blue! lol At this point I told my husband I have all colors of the rainbow coming out of me! lol I also have 2 drains that are currently draining red but will turn to a clear color by next week. My doctor will take out the drains once those are running clear and not that much fluid is coming out. I have an appointment next week to see him.

Since I slept longer and ate later I wasn't released until after 7pm that evening. The kids had spent the night with my husband's mom the night before surgery and we let them miss school the day of my surgery. Being that it was late when we got home and I wasn't up for the ride to go get them and my husband didn't want to leave me by myself they spent the night with her again. Wednesday was a gorgeous day outside. The kids had a wonderful time just being able to be outside all day. Thursday morning was different though. Early Thursday morning we had a major thunderstorm come through. We had lightening and even pea sized hail. The rain was very heavy and the creek got up quick. Before we knew it we were flooded in! The kids are still at their grandma's house and they are spending the night yet again! They will be missing 3 days of school but I can't help it. I believe they will be excused for missing tomorrow because the water is still up. My sister is going to try to get them tomorrow and they will spend the night with her.

Our pastor called this morning and was wanting to deliver some food that his wife and another lady at church had prepared for us. I had to tell him he can't deliver it because the water was over the road. It's still over and it is supposed to rain more later tonight!

My husband is so wonderful with the way he is taking care of me! My man is a rock! He slept on the couch last night because I am sleeping on the other couch with the recliner out because I don't think I could sleep in our bed very easy just yet with the drains and all. He didn't want to leave me alone! How sweet is that! He is also draining my drains and measuring them for my doctor. I've not had to do anything but then again I can't do anything. My strength in my right arm is very week right now which it is supposed to be and I can't even open up a jar of jelly.

I could go on and on but I just wanted to let everyone know that I had my surgery and my lymph nodes were cancer free! My husband is taking great care of me. I'm spoiled!

I also want to thank everyone for all of your prayers! The Lord truly blessed me with them! I was at such peace the night before my surgery that I slept very good that night. I also wasn't anxious before my surgery except for the little moment I had when I was in radiology when they were checking where my lymph nodes were located. That was the only part of the process that I did not research and therefore it was scary. I also was thinking about how this is the test that determines what happens for the rest of my life so to speak. I know I left out a lot but I put in more than I probably should have too. Anyway, I am truly blessed with such great blogging friends and I want to say thank you to each and every one of you! Praise the Lord with me in my great news that it wasn't in my lymph nodes!

Angela

1 comment:

  1. I just saw in the header you are 46? How old were you when you got breast cancer?

    ReplyDelete