Originally posted February 5, 2012.
Back in November I had a mammogram. They had me come back for another mammogram and a ultrasound. That resulted in me having to have a biopsy last week of the two different spots they found on my right breast. We went to see the surgeon on Monday to get the results from the biopsy I had last week. We were completely shocked to find out that I do have cancer! Even the doctor was shocked. Apparently both of the samples they took had cancer in them. I asked if he thinks he got it all out because the spots were very small and he did get those out but it's the surrounding tissue that he is concerned about. The spots he biopsied were teenie tiny, his words when I asked last week at the biopsy. He gave us a few things to think about and he is going to consult with a few other specialist because my case is unique. Usually when there are 2 spots like that they aren't cancer. He's never had one like mine before. The first thing my doctor asked me when he seen me in his office was how old are you. I told him I'm 43 but I'll be 44 next week. He said I was too young and then told me that my lab results were that I had cancer. It is a stage 1. It's very early. Mine was so small that 2 different doctors that did a breast exam on me could not even feel them.
One of the options is to go back in and take out some stuff and treat with radiation for 6 weeks. Another is to remove my breast and that would be that. Then they can remove and reconstruct.
I go back to see him on the 13th. He also said he'd like to do the surgery in 3 weeks so we agreed to let them schedule it but we aren't locked in to doing anything yet. He said I could get a second opinion if we wanted and if we wanted he would refer me to Duke or John Hopkins if we wanted. I feel good with this man. He is an American and born in West Virginia and he and his nurse were crying right along with us. When I talked to my Pastor about my diagnosis he said that he went to school with my doctor.
There is not a history of breast cancer in my family until about 4 months ago. My older cousin had to have both removed. She's a smoker and hers was at stage 4 and mine is very early stages.
We caught mine really early. They were using a magnifying glass to even see it on the mammogram.
Tuesday morning I called my doctor's office to ask a few questions. The nurse there was wonderful and very helpful and didn't rush me at all. I was on the phone with her for almost 20 minutes.
I called to see if they needed a copy of the blood work I had back in September and she told me they will do new blood work a week before my surgery. I will also have a chest x-ray and an EKG before my surgery.I asked her if they were able to schedule the surgery. They booked my surgery. So that will be the day I go. The surgery will last around 45 minutes to an hour. It also is now done as an out patient which surprised me but it will be nice to sleep in my own bed and not be probed and woke up 10 times during the night! Been there done that with gallbladder surgery 14 years ago and that was miserable.
I talked to the nurse about radiation because I wasn't sure if it was an every day thing which it mostly is. I would go M-F for 6 weeks. The office where I would go for that is in the same building so I won't have to go all over the place for that. The thing is I love staying home when I can so it will be like a chore for me to leave the house everyday like that! lol
The nurse even kept telling me that we caught it really early and I'm not going to die from this. She said I would die from natural causes. I know they don't tell that to every patient because they can't because some are found really late but mine is very early. We are thinking that if I had went back in September when I should have went but didn't because the kids got sick. They wouldn't have even found it back then. It had only been 18 months since my last mammogram.I called my Pastor Tuesday and talked to him and his wife. His wife told me that another lady at church goes to the doctor that I go to so I called and talked to her. She's been going to my doctor since she was 29 and she is 45. Breast cancer runs in her family. Her mom and her 2 sisters and her all see him. They love him. She also told me she
babysits for a nurse at the hospital that I will be having the surgery at and works with my doctor! She said can ask this lady to schedule the best of the best to be there during my surgery! I also found out from her that there is yet another lady at our church that had breast cancer and my doctor treated her 20 years ago so this is all encouraging to me.
I really feel like the Lord has had his hand in this healing process from the get go so I am in the best hands possible! I'm feeling really positive about it all right now. Not to say I won't cry tomorrow because I will, but that's ok I'm human!
So please say some prayers for me and know that I know that the Lord has his hand in this healing process and you can't get any better than that! It is hard but I've had a few days to think about it and gather information. I will update everyone again once I know more. I really hope that because of my diagnoses others will go and get their mammograms if they have been putting it off. I do know that one of my best friends in Maryland, Rosemary, has scheduled her mammogram. My sister went and got her first mammogram Saturday. My neighbor is going to get her first mammogram soon too. Early detection is the key!
I hate to ask this but PLEASE only leave positive comments! It is very encouraging and really helps to hear success stories. I heard one the other day that a lady who is 73 told me that her grand mother was 40 when she had breast cancer. Back then all they could do was removal. There wasn't any radiation or chemo at all. Her grand mother lived to be 106! And you know her breast cancer was not found from using a mammogram either!
Love,
Angela
Welcome
I'm a 46 year old stay at home mom who is married to the man of her dreams. We have 2 children, My Young Lady age 16 and My Little Man aged 9 along with 2 dogs. In February of 2012, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I had a mastectomy of the right breast on March 14th. Praise God we found it early! I did not have to do chemo or radiation. I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. My surgeon and oncologist are a wonderful team of doctors that are keeping a very close eye on me. I can now say I'm a 2 year breast cancer survivor. By the Grace of God I'm doing well.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I know the results - and i am so thrilled!
ReplyDelete