Welcome

I'm a 46 year old stay at home mom who is married to the man of her dreams. We have 2 children, My Young Lady age 16 and My Little Man aged 9 along with 2 dogs. In February of 2012, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I had a mastectomy of the right breast on March 14th. Praise God we found it early! I did not have to do chemo or radiation. I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. My surgeon and oncologist are a wonderful team of doctors that are keeping a very close eye on me. I can now say I'm a 2 year breast cancer survivor. By the Grace of God I'm doing well.

Friday, April 25, 2014

One Week and Visit to Surgeon

Originally posted March 21, 2012.

Today has been 1 week since my mastectomy. Up until yesterday the pain wasn't that bad at all. Yesterday morning I slept in and didn't take my medicine right on time. When I got out of bed it felt like what I would imagine a man getting his chest hair waxed off would feel like. Yes! Ouch!!!!

Before my appointment I called my doctors office to give them a heads up that I am in pain and also to ask about the removal of the tape that is around my incision. It is sticking to me like duct tape! They apparently don't have anything that helps in the removal of that tape so we decided that while I'm sitting here with nothing to do that I would loosen it up some so it will be easier to remove when I'm at the office. I did that as far across as I can. I can't get the tape under my arm and I don't think it would be very comfortable afterwards anyway.

We are having to take the old truck when we go out because I can't get into my new truck. My old truck is 10 years old and let's just say it is very rough riding. The road we live on is extremely rough. Combine those two..... It doesn't make for a fun leisurely ride in the country. I couldn't wait to hit the main road. We picked up the kids from school and drove on to my appointment at 3:30.


My doctor looked at the chart we brought in about the fluid that my husband emptied over the week. He decided he would take out drain number two but left in drain number one. As far as getting the tape off my incision, lets say this man knows how to do it! Thank God that didn't hurt as bad as I had anticipated it would. He took it off like a pro. He was still on cloud nine over the fact that my lymph nodes were cancer free!

Here's the bad news first! I can't shower for ANOTHER WEEK! YIKES! My hair! It's long! It's sticky! Our road is rough and I don't want to go any where until next week! I have crazy allergies and I'm scared to do the dry shampoo! I told my doctor I'm going to have even more beautiful hair next week! lol I also told him that I don't have to worry about lice because they wouldn't want to live in this! He got a good laugh out of that! lol

Next week he will take out the other drain and the staples. He also said he will make me an appointment with an oncologist next week too. I asked about chemo and he said that wasn't his decision to make. So I'll be seeing an oncologist later this month or early next month to see what he has to say from all the information we have about the type of cancer I had and go from there.

Having the bandage off is strange. I can feel the air now. He also doesn't want me to have the surgical bra yet. He said it will rub and make it feel worse. Good thing I bought 3 robes to wear! 2 weeks of lounging around in a robe without being able to wash my hair! That's alright. At this point I like to believe that I am cancer free and that is the best news to me!


Angela

1 comment:

  1. Well that scares me to death - but what can you do but go through it? You are brave I tell you!

    ReplyDelete