Welcome

I'm a 46 year old stay at home mom who is married to the man of her dreams. We have 2 children, My Young Lady age 16 and My Little Man aged 9 along with 2 dogs. In February of 2012, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I had a mastectomy of the right breast on March 14th. Praise God we found it early! I did not have to do chemo or radiation. I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. My surgeon and oncologist are a wonderful team of doctors that are keeping a very close eye on me. I can now say I'm a 2 year breast cancer survivor. By the Grace of God I'm doing well.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Blood Tumor Marker Numbers

My oncologist always takes my blood at every appointment for the blood tumor marker test.  I will have to say that this is something that I know very little about except that my blood tumor marker numbers go up and down and never stay at the same number.  I have done so much research on this topic that it blows my mind that there isn't more online about it at all.  I have scoured through breast cancer forums looking for any tips on the subject, but pretty much come up empty handed on the subject.  From what I've read a lot of oncologist don't and won't use the blood test because there are many false positives and false negatives in the test itself.  A few women have mentioned on the forums I've read that their oncologist says that if they drink too much caffeine or eat too much sweet surgery desserts before the test then their numbers will be elevated. 

Last week I had my routine visit with my oncologist.  It has been a good 2 1/2 years since I had my mastectomy surgery and yet I still cry on my way to see the oncologist.  I can't help it!  Cancer is real and going to his office makes it too much of a reality that I somewhat relive this horrible nightmare that I can't seem to wake up from.  Once I'm at his office I'm fine.  More so now because my appointments are in the afternoon which means most people who are receiving chemo have already left for the day.  It is hard to see people receiving chemo.  I'm sorry if that bothers anyone that I said that, but it is very hard to see it when in the back of your mind you are thinking that could be me someday.  You see, I don't want to do chemo. 

A few days after my blood work my oncologist's office called.  That's not good when they call.  They called to tell me my numbers went up again and wanted to know if I want to have a PET Scan.  He is just too cautious!  Which is good and bad all at the same time!  I had CT Scans and bone scans back in October of 2013 when my blood tumor marker number was 33.  They went down to a 26 and last week they were at 29.  I don't think I will do the PET Scan.  I just don't want to do it.  I'm not having any problems.  It makes me feel bad that I don't want to do the test because there are many people out there that are begging to have this test done.  Most people want these tests and can't get them because of their insurance won't pay for the test.  Some need them and can't afford to do it.  I have wonderful insurance that will pay 100% of the test and I don't want the test!  Go figure!  There is a lot of controversial information about the PET Scan that makes me not want to have it done.  Plus, nothing showed up in October.

The controversial information that I've read is that if you move too much before the PET Scan then it can show false results.  After you are injected with the dye from nuclear medicine you are supposed to remain as still as you can in a dark room.  They won't even let you read a book because it can mess up the test just from where you turned a few pages in a book or magazine!  I've also heard that if you have a scratch on your arm it might light up and show a possibility of there being cancer at that location which would result in further testing. 

In my research of the topic of PET Scans I happened upon another blog of a lady who had the PET Scan.  It was a good read and very informational that I am going to recommend that you read it if you are considering a PET Scan for yourself.  Her blog is called:  Breast Cancer?  But Doctor....  I hate pink!  Go HERE to see the post mentioned above.

If anyone has any further information that you would like to share please do so by making a comment.  I would love to hear your input on the subject.

Angela

1 comment:

  1. Angela I wish I knew an answer but I don't. I can understand that you cry on the way to the oncologist. It does make it real. Cancer is real. I understand that so much more now then I ever did. Hugs to you. It is scary to think about the woulda - coulda - shouldas in life.
    It is hard not to do what the doctor asks - but can't you just wait til the next blood test - when will that be?

    ReplyDelete