Welcome

I'm a 46 year old stay at home mom who is married to the man of her dreams. We have 2 children, My Young Lady age 16 and My Little Man aged 9 along with 2 dogs. In February of 2012, I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I had a mastectomy of the right breast on March 14th. Praise God we found it early! I did not have to do chemo or radiation. I'm taking Tamoxifen for 5 years. My surgeon and oncologist are a wonderful team of doctors that are keeping a very close eye on me. I can now say I'm a 2 year breast cancer survivor. By the Grace of God I'm doing well.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

It's Official!

Originally posted April 9, 2012.

Praise the Lord with me everybody! It's official! I will NOT need to do chemo! I am on cloud nine! This morning my husband and I met with my oncologist for the first time. Before I seen him they had to take some blood for some tests. Unfortunately my good vein is in my right arm and I can no longer use that arm for blood work since my surgery. The nurse tried my left arm. The vein is very small and goes at an angle she said. It also rolled on her. So we then had to try to find a vein on the top of my hand. She flicked and patted my hand for a long time. Then she tried it. No luck there either. That vein was rolling on her also. She then asked another nurse to try to find a good vein. The other nurse looked and decided to use a vein in my wrist. Score, but it does hurt from doing that.

Before they started the blood work I looked across the room and seen men and women having chemo done. They were sitting in lounge chairs in a circle. It was heartbreaking to see and it really hit home with me that that could be me if the doctor said I needed to do it. Tears came to my eyes. My husband seen me trying to hold it back and wanted to know what was wrong. I have been so strong until then but I didn't break out. I then directed him to look across the room. He too was taken by surprise by seeing that also.

Then it was time to talk to the oncologist. He asked me a few questions like if I smoked or if I ever smoked which is no. If I drink which is no. If I had heart problems, diabetes and things like that which is no. He wanted to know how many children I had and if they were boys or girls. I have one of each. He talked to me about the fact that my daughter is going to have to start getting a mammogram when she is 34 which thinking about it now she will need to do it when she is 33 because I was 43 and turned 44 during this crisis. He asked if I had a sister and how old she is. He said she needs to start getting mammograms now too because she is 37. I told him she already got one when I found out about my breast cancer. He looked over all of the different reports from the different tests that I've had. He listened to my lungs, heart and took my blood pressure. He gave me a real good look over.

He then went over all the different markers for what they look for and explained it in all in detail. He then said that my cancer was very small and I can take the pill for 5 years. He then went over all the different risk factors for taking the pill Tamoxifen. After that he asked if I had any questions. I then asked if I could take it for a year or two and then quit if I was having problems with it. He then said that they have never done any studies with taking it for that short period of time and that taking it for 5 years is the biggest benefit to me. He also said that taking it for 10 years is of no benefit at all. I then asked if I should have a hysterectomy to try to keep from getting uterine cancer that is one of the risks with taking the pill. He said no. He told me he has treated over 1,000 women with that pill and only 2 have had problems with it but they were fine.

The doctor wrote me a prescription for Tamoxifen and wants to see me in 4 months.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the prayers, love and support that have been said for me. I am truly humbled by all the get well cards I've received over the past few weeks. You guys rock! Praise God! Praise God! Praise God! Thank you Jesus! Amen!


Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment